Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Have diabetes and throbbing pain in upper chest. What am I suffering from?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
i have a throbbing in my upper left chest. have had it here and there for weeks now it woke me up from my sleep. I don't feel it when I run and get it no matter what position I am in. i am 54 and in good health, diabetes, non smoker. now it wont go away
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

Your symptoms are suggestive of heart palpitation or arrhythmias.

Cardiac palpitation is uncomfortable and unusual awareness of the heartbeat.Most patient explain it as throbbing in chest.Mismatch or disturbances in electric impulses in heart are generally underlying cause for this symptoms.Most cases are harmless and dont need treatment.

But one needs to get evaluated for this.A primary evaluation with ECG can help to evaluate the condition.If at all a static ECG is normal a 24 hours ECG monitoring can help in this case.Another investigation which can help evaluate heart function is 2D-echo.

I would suggest you to see doctor for clinical evaluation and consider getting the investigations done.In most cases medication can provide good symptomatic relief.

Once diagnosis is confirmed an appropriate treatment can be proposed.

Please ask if there are further questions or if want me to explain anything.

Thank you.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor