Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Have diabetes. Blood test shows high sugar levels. Taking Amaryl, Galvus, Insulin

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 869 Questions
My Father is 66 Years old and is a diabetic for last 22 yrs.
Recently his sugar is always coming high and thus worrying us very much.
The test results are as follows:
Fasting : 105 avg; PP : 161 Avg.
HB1AC (Aug'13) : 8.3 ; HB1AC (DEC'12) : 8.2.
The medicines he takes are as follows :
please suggest,

Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 23 hours later
Dear Sir

Thanks for the query.

I review your case. The current medications consist of several groups of drugs such as metformin, glimeperide, and gliptins. It also includes glargine insulin which helps in maintaining basal insulin levels. So overall your treatment looks good.

However I see your post prandial sugars are high while fasting blood sugars are normal. Since persistently raised post Prandial levels of sugars can increase Hba1c, I would suggest the use of prandial regulators. Usually Prandial regulators will reduce hba1c by 0.8 to 1.0 percent.

Discuss with your treating doctor. I think you will benefit by adding "Prandial Regulators" such as acarbose, miglitol or voglibose with appropriate dosages to your list of medication. I hope you are strictly adhering to diabetic diet as well as exercise - those are must.

Hope this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you need clarification.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor