Have detached retina in eye. What treatment should be done?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have a detached retina in my right eye. I have a work release because the doctor says it is only detached in a few minor places now. I irrigate my nose with XXXXXXX med. I have a cold or flu or something now. Does the XXXXXXX med endanger my retina or anything? How about blowing my nose?
I need to say that I live in the California desert where the plants are pollinating.
Fall in more like spring here and you actually plant lowers in the fall and the flowers can't grow in the very hot summer. I have extreme allergies to plants and I think that my condition is close to someone living in a northern state in springtime. If you are considering the season in your answer, you should know about this part.
I am sorry. I forgot to say I have been very nearsighted since age 9, about 50 years. I understand that's relevant.
I should also say that I have been irrigating my nose with the XXXXXXX Med frequently.
Sometimes 2-3 times in a row and sometimes every 20 minutes. I am afraid of having to blow my nose or sneeze. thank you!!!
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 35 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
thanks for sending your query to us.
These allergies you are talking about lead to a lot of sneezing and blowing of nose.This is what we want to avoid in such cases.
Detached retina should be tackled immeditely and we do not want to make those small patches big.
It has been your myopia than any thing else that has been responsible for detachment.
Get your detachment taken care of immediately.
Take medication to control sneezing and do not blow nose.
Any problem please do get back to me immediately.
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 7 hours later
I still have some flonase I tapered off it the end of Oct and used only twice this month.
Should I go back the flonase (I squirted some in my nose just after I got your message)? or get some Claritin?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX,
thanks for getting back to us.
flonase is a steroid and claritin is non steroid,but that is immaterial.Any of these which gives you good relief is good enough for us.
We do not want sneezing and blowing of nose,and both will take care of that.
take care.
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 4 days later
I am waiting to hear from my ophthalmologist before I close the discussion
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
i feel the query is answered,what is the new query ,please explain.
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
I am waiting to find out what my ophthalmologist says in case I need to ask something else.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
welcome back with any problem.