Have dermagraphics. Prescribed teczine for itching. Getting red and warm skin. Looking for cure

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,
I have been suffering from Dermographics since an year now. The reason for this is still unknown to me. I consulted a dcotor last year and he prescribed me - teczine medicine whenever it starts itching. I would like to know if there is a proper treatment for this disease which I can undergo. I feel itchy every night and it is terrible. My skin becomes red and slightly warm in those areas...mostly back, legs and hands.
What can I do to cure myself from this skin disease? Please help
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
hello

thanks for posting your query.

i will be glad to be of assistance.

i can understand your concern.

dermatographism is a part of urticaria or hives.

urticaria may be idiopathic or may have a variety of causative factors, there is an exhaustive list available but to tell you the truth its really difficult to pin point one thing.

the best thing to do is to start prompt treatment so you get immediate relief.

tablet fexofenadine once in the morning and tablet loratidine once daily at night for 3 months. these medications will take care of the urticaria. they will suppress the process. you will need a prescription for these medications.

you need to apply calamine lotion on the rash to soothe it. twice a day till you have the rash

its not an allergic reaction but urticaria can be caused by foods, medications, pollen, house dust etc.

you should try avoiding fish, milk, nuts for 15 days and see if it further helps you.

whenever you want to go to your doctor, you can get the asst test or the skin prick test done but it is not mandatory.

hope my recommendations are helpful.

regards
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 3 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have following further questions:
1. Will this 3 months medication cure it completely? Are there any side effects of these medicines?
2. If I dont take any medicine and stay in this condition, are there any risks? Can this get serious?
3. If I take the skin prick test, will I get to know the reason? Will it help the treatment / help doctor in prescribing medications?

Please let me know. I have been avoiding teczine medicine also fearing that I may get addicted and it may have side effects. Request your guidance here.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kruti 21 minutes later
Hello

I will be glad to be of assistance.

The medications are safe, not addictive and have no side effects.

The course for three months can suppress the process but can't cure it and it can recur.

The skin prick test won't be required for you at this stage. In case the medications can't control the urticaria only then its required.

If you don't treat it then it could get serious at times.

This is called angioedema.
Thus can result in swelling of face and soft tissues within the airway and cause difficulty in breathing.

hence its important to treat it.