Have depression and confilicts. Any help?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Depression
Question: i have depression and confilicts also can give help me
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 57 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I can understand that you must be going through a difficult time. It is obvious that currently you are under a lot of mental stress and tension, and this can precipitate depression.

Now, don't get discouraged because there are effective treatment available for your depression. You may need to be started on an anti-depressant medication to combat your depression and to relax your mind. You also need to go for regular counselling sessions to learn coping skills and stress management techniques. I would also give you the following suggestions to control your depression:

- Avoid stress as much as possible. Like I mentioned earlier, stress is an important risk factor for depression. So, don't take too much which you can't handle.
- Practising relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, XXXXXXX breathing, etc. can help relieve stress.
- Ensure that you get 7 - 8 hours of continuous sleep everyday. When you’re sleeping too little or too much, your mood suffers. So, get on a better sleep schedule by learning proper sleep habits.
- Follow a healthy lifestyle - with adequate physical exercise and a nutritious and balanced diet. This not only keeps your body healthy, but also helps your mind.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking or any other substances as they all have been associated with many psychiatric disorders, including depression.
- Avoid negative thinking and guilt feelings. Remember, your thoughts determine your emotions and behaviour. If your thoughts are constantly negative, it can pull you down and worsen your depression.
- Develop a strong social and spiritual support system. Have friends / relatives who you can trust and talk to regularly, keep up with social and religious activities frequently. Avoid being alone.
- Keep your mind always active and engaged - finding a new hobby, spending time with nature, doing tasks which you enjoy, etc will all help in avoiding depressive thoughts.

Right now, I would advise you to first consult a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological evaluation and further treatment. With appropriate treatment and counselling, I am sure that you will be able to come out of your depression soon.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist