Have demyelinating disease. Ulnar nerve got damaged. Any cure?

Dr. Rogers Nditanchou

Posted on Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have denyelinating disease which i think is causing me to lose the use of my left hand. I know that the Ulnar nerve has caused damage to the outside two fingers and has reach the spine. pain has sttarted on the other two fingers and the thumb. Will I finally get to the point the I can not use my hands.?
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Too early to be to too worried

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Treatment of demyelinating diseases do depend on the exact cause, the mechanism causing the demyelination, the point at which the disease is determined and the timely intervention / treatment.

I am afraid demyelinating diseases are not completely treatable. Treatment deserves continuous monitoring from your treating doctor.

Steroids, Interferons are the main drugs used in treatment. Vitamin supplementation can also be offered and physiotherapy. I do think with sufficient clinical exam, appropriate steroid therapy and interferons depending on the case, Vitamin supplementation and physiotherapy should be enough to retard any deterioration and improve clinical outcomes. I do think you need not bother so much. Confide and comply to the recommendations of your doctor.

Do feel free asking any follow up questions in case you have any specific concerns. Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D