Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Have dark spots on the head of penis. Was treated with cortisone cream. What is the permanent cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
Hello- I'm a 59 year old man and within the past month I have noticed several small slightly dark spots on the head of my penis. Quite some years ago I had what my dermatologist identified what he called contact dermatitis also on the same area. It was successfully treated with a prescription cortisone cream. It looked like that's what this at first. I used an over the counter cortisone to treat the first spot and it went away. Now I don't know if I'm just getting over concerned...these "newer" spots are not raised and they are only slightly darker than the normal color of my skin in that area. It's almost as if it is just a darkening of the pigmentation. I have MANY moles on my torso and at my temples. I have been getting those frozen off for years. Can the discoloration on the penis be age spots or do you recommend I see my doctor?
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: There is no reason for worrying Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXXXXX From the description given by you, the spots are most likely to be patches due to pigmentation which most commonly occurs due to chronic irritation by Smegma. There is no cause of concern as the lesion is flat and not associated with any other symptoms like itching or congestion. If you are not circumscribed, I would suggest you to maintain good hygiene which includes retraction of skin of glans that is prepuce and washing it thoroughly with plain water twice a day. I hope I have cleared your doubt, in case you have any further query you can get back to me with a clinical photo. Wishing you a healthy life. Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor