Have dark spot on back. Get hives in hot weather with facial night sweats. Any remedy?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Am dark skinned and I have 3 dark spots on my back one is like a pimple on is brown slightly raised and one is black flat all painless . Was inquiring if that could be linked to hiv.sometimes my skin feels itchy . In addition when it's extremely hot my skin breaks out in hives when am outside under direct sunlight. I equally have a sore throat saw a doctor who told me to gaggle salt water there is only slight redness. I also have facial night sweats .
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

All the symptoms described by you are not at all anyway specific to HIV disease.

Dark spots on your back may be even due to acne and scars of acne. It is quite common for a male of 33 years.
Similarly hives over skin especially under sunlight may be due to allergy to UV Rays or it may be allergic rashes to other allergens from diet, contact, dust, plant or insect allergens etc. It has to be investigated and you would need to avoid the same.

Sore throat also is a very common entity for anybody. Apart from saline gargle, you may need antibiotics to get a cure. Better consult your ENT Surgeon.

If you have a suspicion that your sexual activity could be infectious, then have a check up for HIV screening and repeat the same after 3 months of the risky exposure and rule out the same.
Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli