Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Have dark scaly spots on chin, hairloss on chin and scalp, itcing in genital region. Herpes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 304 Questions
I have itchy dark scaly spots (3) on my chin line ( my skin color is dark brown) - an Eye Doctor told me it may be Herpes?? Also what seems like spots of hairloss/thinning (possibly Alopecia?) on chin and a couple on my scalp, & (incase it is related) just a chronic itch on mygenital region (since a kid, poss. Jock Itch?) without cuts/bruising (other than the long term ones from scratching)?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 38 hours later
Dear Patient,
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX and sorry for the delay in answering.
Herpes occuring on chin area is very unlikely as herbes labialis occurs near nose and lips and is associated with vesicles which are painful or have a burning sensation.
Also alopecia of the type mentioned by you - Alopecia Areata where hairloss occurs in round patches at various sites is an autoimmune disease with no association with herpes.
Herpes is a viral infection.
Itching in genital area is mostly of fungal origin- Jock Itch and hence is an all together different condition.

Scaling on face can occur in fungal infection- tinea facei, can result from sun allergy, contact irritant dermatitis etc.
So all the symptoms mentioned by you are vastly in different direction suggesting that you must get an extensive examination in person with a dermatologist to solve and cure your problem


Dr.Rohit Batra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor