Have dark complexion with oily skin. Skin started getting dry and dark. Any cream or medicine?

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Question: Dear Doctor,

This is XXXXXXX Im 28 and my weight is 58.
I have some problems in my skin these days.
I have dark in complexion, and oily skin. now im facing full dryness in my skin. Especially my face. It is getting darker & darker. I felt so bad, im worrying much.
Im using Old Cinthol soap & Attitude face cream. And Cetaphil moisurising cream @ bed time. im consuming less than 8 glasses of water everyday.

Could you please suggest me what soap, face cream i need to use. Im facing problem only in my face. Body colour & face colour is extremely different.

Please advise.

Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later
Hello

I will be glad to be of assistance.

I can understand your concern.

Usually the winter season brings with it dry skin which leads to apparent darkening of the skin.

You need to first use a sunscreen of spf 30 or more atleast three times a day.

This will prevent further darkening due to sun exposure.

You can use a facewash which will moisturize the skin, try not using soap but a facewash instead.

You can also continue the use of cetaphil moisturizing cream three times a day which will help with the dry skin.

right now if you use any cream for lightening the skin, it will cause more dryness, hence it would be best to wait for that, once the dryness of skin is better you can apply a cream containing glycolic acid 6% at night daily.

Hope my recommendations are helpful to you.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Kruti 29 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Many thanks for your reply.
Yes it is absolutely useful. Thanks.

I just want to know that Lotus Sunscreen SPF 30 & Himalayas Face Wash is OK to use or not.
And it would be better that you itself suggest me any cream (Cream Name )that contains glycolic acid 6% for night use.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kruti 47 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for your reply.

Lotus sunscreen and himalaya face wash is fine to use.

Glyco 6 is the cream that's available and contains 6% glycolic acid.

Please use it after the dryness subsides.

Follow up: Dr. Kruti 2 minutes later
Thanks a lot Doctor...!!!
Answered by Dr. Kruti 7 minutes later
You are welcome