Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have dandy walker malformation. What is the cause and treatment available?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 632 Questions
I have dandy walker malformation looking for info
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Thanks for your query. Dandy-Walker malformation refers to congentital brain malformation involving cerebellum. The prevalance is 1 in 30-0000.Initial symptoms are slower motor development and progressive enlargement of the skull.Later on, symptoms like irritability, vomiting and convulsions, unsteadiness and lack of muscle coordination occur due to pressure and also involvement of cerebellum. Increased head circumference, bulging at the back of the skull, and abnormal breathing patterns can occur in this disorder. It is also associated with malformations of the heart, face, limbs, fingers and toes.Treatment for individuals with Dandy–Walker Syndrome generally consists of treating the associated problems and symptomatic management. A tube (shunt) can be used to reduce intracranial pressure may be placed inside the skull to control swelling. Treatment also includes occupational therapy, physiotherapy and speech therapy. Lifespan depends on associated malformations and other associated conditions. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor