Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Have dandruff problem in the form of flakes causes irritation and scratching on head. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1919 Questions
Hello. I have dandruff problem in the form of flakes. Sometimes it is very irritating on my head so I keep on scratching on my head to get relief. And whenever I have bald pate, my head looks very worse with dandruff and will be very painful. I tried using many shampoos and couldn't make any difference. How can I get rid of this.
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 30 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic,
Dandruff or pityriasis capitis is body's inflammatory response to an yeast called malazzesia. This yeast is a normal resident of human body. To get rid of dandruff you should get rid of this yeast.
I usually treat dandruff with a shampoo containing 2% ketoconazole and 1% ZPTO to be used 3 days a week on alternate days. After a month I reduce the frequency to once a week and this regime is maintained for a long duration.
This yeast loves oil and therefore do not apply oil over scalp.
Hope I have answered your query. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor