Owl Image

Have dandruff, hair fall and itchy scalp. How to get rid of this problem?

Owl Image
Dr. P V S Prasad

Dermatologist

Question
Ive been having dandruff and some itching in scalp.. i went to a dr and had to use a MGP dropper and a dandruff shampoo.. ive used it for two weeks and fbe itching and dandrucf completely stopped... after couple of weeks dandruff came back which is causing alot of hair loss.. what do u think of that problem??
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 34 minutes later
Hi
Dandruff is a simple and common problem which occurs in majority of people.
It is due to combination of oil secretionm on the skin of scalp by the ol glands with fugus which is normally present on scalp with environmental dust and pollution. These changes make the skin to flake more which is visible as scaling.
If you understand this you will accept my next statement that is
Dandruff can only be controlled and not cured.
So what do you do for effective control?
1. Wash your scalp with normal water everday.
2. Use shampoo as at present. If you feel better reduce the frequency of application
3. Drink plenty of water to dilute oil content of skin.
4. Take fluconazole tabs if needed on the advice of your doctor. It can be taken as weekly onmce for fopur weeks.
5. If you are still not better you can try tar based shampoos which are more effective in removing the flakes.
6. To reduce hair loss use normal combs
7. Take plenty of fruits and vegetables.
I hope you change your lifestyle for minimizing your problem.
Have a good day
Prasad pvs