Have cysts on scalp. Should I consult a dermatologist or general surgeon?

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dear Sir, I have cysts on the scalp from last 7-8 years ,currently there are 4-5 cysts on the scalp and their growth is increasing although slowly. My queries are following 1.Whom should I go for treatment dermatologist or general surgeon 2.Is surgery only solution? 3.What would be the hospitalisation period if surgery is done? 4.Is there any chance of recurring After surgery? 5.can you give reference of any expert in Jaipur rajasthan?
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 2 hours later
Brief Answer: The cysts may be sebaceous cysts. Detailed Answer: Hi, I think you may be having sebaceous cysts also called epithelioid cysts. You may consult either dermatologist or general surgeon. Any one can treat you initially. But as surgery is the only solution, you will require the expertise of a surgeon if the cyst indeed requires surgical removal. The cysts may be excised under local anaesthesia. They may be excised one by one at certain intervals or all at a time depending upon doctor's thinking and your physical status. It is a minor surgery done in OPD. So, the hospitalisation is not needed. You may be discharged after surgery. There are no chance to recur at the site of surgery, but new cysts may occur. There is no drug to prevent. There are so many dermatologists and general surgeons in Jaipur. And there may be many trust hospital and govt hospitals. So you may consult any dermatologist or surgeon. I would like to advise you to XXXXXXX your family doctor, discuss with him for your disease. He will guide you you for proper consultant. I hope you may be satisfied with my answer. Any query still, you may ask. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad