Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

158 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have cyst on cleft lip. Should I be worried?

Answered by
Dr. Sudarshan


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 1391 Questions

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi
I have a cyst on the cleft of my lip it just appeared suddenly it is really hard and when I try to squeeze it nothing comes out ... What can it be it doesn't hurt or bother me it doesn't even show unless I bite on my upper lip it's the size of a pimple... What can it be I'm just curious because it appeared suddenly and I'm just worried it might be something which I am ignoring because it doesnt bother. Thank you for any help would be greatly appreciated
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The condition you are describing can be granuloma,simpler cyst, retention cyst of minor salivary glands, papilloma etc.
Also I would like to know-
Is there any pain /soreness?
Is it growing or static?
Does it bleed?
Since when you have this?
Can you upload the photographs of the affected area ?
Upload the photos and answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
Hope this helps .
MD dermatologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 14 hours later
Thanks for the reply... No its not causing me any pain, it isn't growing and also it doesn't bleed. It looks a lot like a pimple but is extremely hard and having had a cyst on my eyelid before it looks a lot like it.. what should I do for it? should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Ive gone through the details and the image you uploaded.It appears like a keloid or hypertrophic scar.If its not causing any symptoms it is better left alone .Nothing much needs to be done if its not growing and not causing symptoms.
If you want to get it treated a small intralesional injection of steroid would have to be given.Other option would be to get it excised by small surgery.
My advise would be to wait for few months and
See for spontaneous resolution.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on