Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Have crusted scabies, get relief from Permetherin and Ivermectin but comes back. Permanent cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1561 Questions
I need a Doctor who specializes in getting rid of crusted scabies ! I have been to 4 dermetoligests , last one said he didn't know what to do more Permetherin and Ivermectin knock them back for awhile they come back in a week or less , I've done all the things I'm to do and even moved out of my house for a week , even froze phones and any thing that I cannot scald with boiling water
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 2 hours later
Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX

1. For crusted scabies topical permethrin 5% cream is presently the preferred topical scabicidal agent. So your doctor has selected a right drug for you.

2. But treatment failure is common in this condition. So you should always use combination treatment regimens like topical permethrin 5% cream with oral ivermectin.

Since you have used it and not benefited you can use benzyl benzoate as a 25% emulsion with the contact period is 24-36 h with oral ivermectin.
This may be help you as it is effective in permethrin resistant crusted scabies and in patients with relapses after a single treatment with ivermectin. But discuss with your dermatologist before its use.

2. Early recognition and treatment is required here. Now for time being, you should take precautions to avoid its outbreak. Always wash your clothes and beddings with hot water. Never mix your clothes with any one.

3. I advice you to get checked for your blood sugar levels and HIV test to rule out any of these.
As crusted scabies occurs mainly in immunocompromised patients, so chances in diabetes, human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients and use of immunosuppressive agents are more commonly affected.

4. You can take symptomatic treatment like antihistamines for pruritis and an emollient for dry skin.
If any secondary bacterial infection then it should be aggressively treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics.

Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further examination and management. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,  

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor