Have crusted scabies, get relief from Permetherin and Ivermectin but comes back. Permanent cure?
1. For crusted scabies topical permethrin 5% cream is presently the preferred topical scabicidal agent. So your doctor has selected a right drug for you.
2. But treatment failure is common in this condition. So you should always use combination treatment regimens like topical permethrin 5% cream with oral ivermectin.
Since you have used it and not benefited you can use benzyl benzoate as a 25% emulsion with the contact period is 24-36 h with oral ivermectin.
This may be help you as it is effective in permethrin resistant crusted scabies and in patients with relapses after a single treatment with ivermectin. But discuss with your dermatologist before its use.
2. Early recognition and treatment is required here. Now for time being, you should take precautions to avoid its outbreak. Always wash your clothes and beddings with hot water. Never mix your clothes with any one.
3. I advice you to get checked for your blood sugar levels and HIV test to rule out any of these.
As crusted scabies occurs mainly in immunocompromised patients, so chances in diabetes, human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients and use of immunosuppressive agents are more commonly affected.
4. You can take symptomatic treatment like antihistamines for pruritis and an emollient for dry skin.
If any secondary bacterial infection then it should be aggressively treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics.
Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further examination and management. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diagnosis of crusted scabies
- Diagnosis of resistant crusted scabies
- Drugs/medication for crusted scabies
- Treatment and cure for resistant crusted scabies
- Resistant crusted scabies causes
- Treatment and cure for crusted scabies
- Crusted scabies causes
- Symptoms of resistant crusted scabies
- Symptoms of crusted scabies
- Ivermectin crusted scabies
- Taking azithromycin 500mg for strep throat. What medicine should I take...
- Had chronic stomach problems. Felt knot near belly button, greenish...
- Laproscopic appendectomy done. Feeling pain in stomach, bloated,...
- Having lump on carotid artery. Sore to touch. Feels while moving neck....
- Having pain in arm and shoulder. Taking panadol. Any suggestion?
- 7 month pregnant. Started vomiting and feeling like acidity. Will it be...
- Experiencing severe stomach cramps. Not getting cured by tylenol....
- 17 month old baby having red rash on feet, legs and scrotum. Should I be...
- Infant fell off bed, fever, blinking hard, eyes crossing, getting tired....
- Abdominal pain, burning when sitting up from bed. Negative UTI stick...