Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Have cramping and have had period. Have itching outside vagina and have burning with urination. Cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1279 Questions
I have cramping and have had my period for a month straight. Along with light itchiness on the outside of my vagina. No other discharge no smell. I've been working out a lot and that seems to make it worse. I also have burning with urination on and off an the feeling of having to go again.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 3 hours later
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX After analyzing your query I feel you are suffering from Urinary tract infection. Because, burning urination and frequent feeling to go again are common symptoms.
And your next problem of cramping and period for a month clinically known as DYSMENORRHOEA and probably MENORRHAGIA (continuous bleeding for 1 month) needs to be evaluated. This happens if there is any problem in the uterus/ cervical like fibroid, polyps/ PID (pelvic inflammatory disease)/any hormonal problem like THYROID DISORDER/ any contraception (which you have not mentioned about).
Itchiness around the vagina is due to excoriation, due to UTI (urinary tract infection). Hence I suggest you to get evaluated from an OBGY specialist, then I think you should undergo following basic investigations to come to a final diagnosis:
Urine-microscopy and culture
Thyroid function test
Scanning of pelvis: look for any problem with uterus/ovary/cervix
My advise till you get an appointment: Drink lot of water, you can take urine alkalyser syrup daily, don’t scratch your vaginal area, do not apply any detergents/harsh soaps, always keep your urethral and vaginal area clean and dry.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor