Have cough, sore throat, headache, stiffness and achy body. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have had a persistent cough for 4 weeks had a sore throat then also that went away, productive mucus hoarse voice also for 4 weeks and 3 days ago woke up with violent headache, stiffness, achy all over could hardly move, fever 38.7 today woke up feeling stiff neck, not so achy body, fever 38.5, slight headaches and sore throat. If I look at my throat there is a white spot on the right and white patches on the tonsils. Yesterday I had some abdominal pain. I am 32 female have a ejection systolic murmur/mitral valve prolapse otherwise healthy. Should I go to the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

The description which you give is suggestive of suppurative tonsillitis which is the cause of fever, cough and sore throat. I would recommend that you should see your doctor who would get a throat swab culture and sensitivity done before starting an antibiotic. He may also order other investigations.

With the history of take a throat infection lightly.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarification or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing you an early recovery.

RKK