Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Have cough, flu symptoms and blocked sinus while sleeping. Do I need antibiotic?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 332 Questions
do i need to see a dr?Hello. I am needing to know if I need to go to the Dr. for an antibiotic or not. Let me first start out by saying both of my small aged sons are sick. One is 2 and has the Flu type B and the other is 4 and has croup. For over a week now I have had a nasty cough with hoarseness and neon XXXXXXX mucus. My voice comes and goes. I'm pretty sure the mucus coming up is from drainage at night. My nose pours during the day and at night. However when I lay down to sleep my sinuses become very clogged. Do you think I need an antibiotic or will otc allergy/cough/decongestant be enough?

Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon

On the basis of the information provided It would suggest you to consult a ENT surgeon and a Chest Physician as you have a infection airway - may be sinuses and nose or lower down in chest. The characterstics of sputum is suggestive of a bacterial infection and you will need a course of antibiotic. Further the symptoms of croup and Flu in your kids also poses them at risk to catch secondary infection. I would be appropriate to consult a pediatrician for kids for a review of their symptoms and any new clinical sign developing.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you have anymore questions about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor