Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Have cough and spots all over body. No relief from antihistimine and codeine. Concerned

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
My 18 year old daughter has been coughing severly for months and has what looks like insect bites all over body. I took her to urgent care but they just gave her antihistimine and codeine cough syrup but the bites and cough are still very bad, but we don't see any bugs anywhere.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I request you to answer few more questions so that I can answer you better.

1. Is there any abnormal sound while breathing?
2. Does this cough have any seasonal or diurnal variation?
3. Any other members of the family suffering from bronchial asthma or allergies?
4. Is there any history of weight loss or fever associated?
5. Does the rash on her body itch?

From your description I think your daughter may be having bronchial asthma associated with skin allergy. A X-ray chest and other investigations (including a blood examination, spirometry) will help in confirming the diagnosis after a physical examination.

Bronchial asthma (acute episode) is treated usually with bronchodilator nebulisation along with oral steroid. Allergic rash improves with antihistaminics. Calamine lotion helps. Rarely oral steroids are required if the rash does not subside and worsens even with antihistaminics. Try and avoid the allergen if possible (most of the cases it will be difficult to identify the allergen)

We use preventor therapy in recurrent episodes of bronchial asthma to prevent further attacks. We start with low dose inhaled steroid in such cases.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Take care

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor