Have cough. Started diarrhea after taking antibiotics. Is this normal?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have a terrible cough and am taking antibiotics which are causing diarrhoea and everytime I cough a little bit leaks out. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic, I am sorry that you are unwell

Coughing, especially a persistent cough, increases abdominal pressure and the increased pressure can result in stool leakage. This is the reason that coughing is one of the risk factors for hernias.

In addition to the antibiotics that you are taking, you may want to consider using a cough suppressant and yogurt. Most yogurts contain probiotics which will help repair the intestine and reduce the diarrhoea.
Some persons, even in those that have no history of asthma, may have coughing as a result of partial closure of the airways in the lungs and the use of a bronchodilator can reduce the coughing.
These may be available as syrups , often in combination with mucolytics.

I hope this helps and you feel better soon, feel free to ask any additional questions