Owl Image

Have continuous cough. Chest is clear. What can be done?

Owl Image
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Question
I have had a dry hacking cough for 6 weeks with coughing till im short of breath and sometimes gag- if i hack at it enough i can move some phlegm. been tto doctor who said my chest is clear, no wheeze and spriometry was normal.what could be causing this cough? should i try and suppress it? could it be a habitual cough? What do you recommend to alleviate this cough??
Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion.

1. Was chest xray done?
2. Do you have symptoms like heartburn?
3. Are you on any antihypertensive medications?
4. Do you have sinus issues?

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I would give my opinion.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have continuous cough. Chest is clear. What can be done? 45 minutes later
No chest xray has not been done. I have never had heartburn and am not in any medications. I am always stressed and am a highly anxious person - im constantly thinking that if I dont cough ill choke on phlegm and wont breathe

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 14 hours later
Since the cough has been for about 6 weeks now, the next step is to get a chest xray done.
If it is normal, then the likely causes are gastroesophageal reflux disease, anxiety or even a post nasal drip.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini