Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Have constipation problem and painful, swollen perineum. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 492 Questions
Hi, You have a painful, swollen perineum for about 2 days. I was constipated for 1 day and I was forcing in the toilet, then the next day it was swollen. Please help, do I need to see a doctor?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later
Thank you for the query,
Possibly due to constipation and straining for stools you might have developed an anal fissure which is a small tear. This can cause swelling an pain during defecation. Can try taking an stool softener like isapgula husk along with liquid paraffin available over the counter and strictly avoid straining for stools. It might take few days for it to heal. If your pain is severe or swelling is increasing along with blood in stools then worthwhile visiting an gastroenterologist.
Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have constipation problem and painful, swollen perineum. Should I consult a doctor? 6 hours later
Thank you for the response. However, based on online research, anal fissure causes a sharp burning pain during bowel movement. I am not experiencing that problem, my petroleum hurts only if I touch it. Perhaps the 2 are not related. I look forward to your response.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 17 hours later
Thank you for the query.
What you said is right, fissures usually cause pain when you are passing stools, but some time it can cause swelling of surrounding tissue causing pain only on touching or straining. Also another possibilities are is development of anal fistula, peri anal abscess, or local swellings like folliculitis ( hair bulb infection ). Rarely vaginal infections, pelvic inflammatory disease, infected vulval cysts can also present with peri anal pain.
Look for any blood or pus discharge.
WOrth while seeing a gastroenterologist or a surgeon to ascertain the cause.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor