Owl Image

Have constipation and noticed blood after bowel movement. What treatment should be done?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Hi, well my problem is that every once in a while when I go to the restroom my anus bleeds, I noticed that it usually happens when the poop is really hard and sharp. It doesn't hurt when I’m pushing just after when I start wiping it burns a little with the tissue and I notice that I bleed a little and it dries up. What would you recommend me to do?
Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

The most common reason of such symptoms are hemorrhoids. The blood is usually bright red and appears on the surface of the stool (not mixed with the stool). It happens because the hard stool tears such hemorrhoid so it starts bleeding.
I suggest you to keep your stool soft (avoid constipations), increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water, use some prescription-free suppositories, wash your rectal area after every stool and do not push hard on stool.
If such treatment wont improve your symptoms, you should have colonoscopy performed to rule out all other possible blood sources.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.