Have constipation and experiencing pain in rectum. Could I ask a doctor?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Constipation
Question: I have constipation avidly regularly but since a geographic change it seems to have gotten worse. now I have the feeling of needing to go and sometimes can't even after forcing harder than I should. I get light headed, weak and can not hold an intelligent conversation. lastly I get a pain in my rectum that goes into my butt cheek and most recently down my leg. no idea what it could be and although I know I need to see a doctor I am Leary as others. the only thing that came to mind is that my grandmother died from lupus
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your constipation is most likely caused by chronic bacterial infection due to geographic change and/or bad diet. This is the most common reason of constipation especially in such young age. Every world region food contains different bacteria type. This bacteria are new for your bowels and can cause such problems like constipation. Diet like low fiber intake, fatty foods, fried foods are very important factor of constipation. Other possible reasons of constipation are hypothyroidism, medicines (antidepressants, ca-blockers). Pain in the rectum radiating to the butt and leg can be related to constipation and hard stool. Due to pushing hard on stool and passing hard stool you can make a wound (anal fissure) in the rectum. Rectal fistula can also appear. I suggest you to : - increase fiber rich products and mineral water intake - avoid fatty foods - increase physical activity (it stimulates bowels to move) - try Rifaximine 400 mg 3x1 for 7 days treatment for chronic infection - start probiotic supplementation - have thyroid tests (TSH,FT3,FT4) If such treatment wont help, stool culture test should be done. In case of persisting rectal pain, rectoscopy should be done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 hours later
thank you for the response. the constipation has been something that has ailed me throughout the years, i researched a bit and came to the fissure as well. i used a enama that had a slight split in the applicator. i felt the the discomfort but thought it was normal, i discovered the split after usage so i believe i caused the fissure. which i wondered would that had caused the random cold sweats and weakness initially after it happened. as for the fissure itself, is it a self healing slow process or is there something i can do about it. my next step is to see a doctor however embarrassment has outweighed the discomfort and the possible discovery of something like cancer.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Anal fissure can be healed with medicines and some effort. However its possible if the fissure is acute (not chronic). If it lasts long time (like few months), we can say that its a chronic fissure. Chronic fissure is an indication to surgery. Fissure is strongly associated with constipation. It means that to heal fissure, you need to get rid of constipation first. Please try such treatment for fissure: - wash your rectum after every stool - have sitz baths with Oak Bark twice a day - try Nitroglycerine cream - avoid pushing hard on stool If it wont help, surgery is necessary. If its about large intestine cancer, it is hardly possible at your age. Most of colon cancer cases are over the age of 50 and before that age, cancer is really a rare thing (usually hereditary). Moreover, cancer does not cause rectal pain. So please do not worry about cancer. You should not be embarrassed either. Surgeon performs rectal examination every day and its a very normal thing. Regards.