Have constipation. Got anus infection due to scratching. Used supossitorys. Proper medication?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: all started got constupaied and used fleet enamas to go then i think i scratched my anus and got a infection be cause it itches like crazy now i am using supositorys to help it slide out so my butt can heal but its not getting any better it is horrible !! please tell me what to do I stay constupatied all the time thats why i use the enimas oh and my stomach digest really hard
after i eat i am in great health 6foot 190lbs and sometimes i feel like i am bloated and cant burp is this all the same thing
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 36 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
You are a young man and experiencing symtoms of
Irritable Bowel Syndrome, constipation predominant.
This is a Brain-Gut interaction through a hormonal
mechanism, a serotonin related. What it does is, it
slows down your colon contractions and make it
hard to go and your stools are lumpy or harder.
This may be aggravated by your dietary habits like
lack of adquate fiber intake and fluid intake. You
need to eat whole grain cereal cereals, nuts and seeds
and fresh vegetables along with an adequate amount
of water. If your stool is very hard, you can start taking
some stool softeners such as Colace or Surfak daily.
To start to be regular, you can take a PEG solution,
(Polyethylene Glycol) such as Miralax. Start with 2-3
tablespoons a day till you start having diarrhea and then
start cutting back till you have regular movements.
As for the irritation around the rectum , from hemorrhoids,
you can use over the counter creams (Preparation-H or similar)
that contain 5-10% hydrocortisone along with a local anesthetic.
You can ask the pharmacist for recommendations.
Regular excercise will be helpful as well. Try to sit on the toilet
everyday at the same time whether you have the urge or not.
This will help you to regulate. If you have any significant bleeding,
please see a proctologist or a colo-rectal specialist.
I wish you well.