Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

187 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have constant headache and diagnosed with allergies. Took allegra. Pain around ear and neck. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1979

Answered : 2457 Questions

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a constant headache since 10/1, went to the Dr and she diagnosed allergies, sore throat, some nose inflammation and fluid in the ears, I started allegra, took care of the sore throat but not the headache. Went to the pharmacy to try allegra-d and the pharmacist thought I should try sudafed. During this time I was taking up to 9 325mg aspirin per day, tried excedrin migraine, can only take two a day so stopped, switched to aleve, can only take 3 per day and have been alternating between aspirin and allegra. went to an ent dr and he prescribed butal-acet-caff 50-500-50mg have been taking these for one day but all this time my headaches do not really go away, it just dulls the pain, he says I need to give it more time, when I do take a pill it takes about an hour to feel relief, I've tried massage, warm baths, heating pads on neck and around the ear. My pain is mostly in my neck and around my left ear and temple..
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Some more investigations may be needed if pain per Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX ! Good morning. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query. If I were your treating doctor, for the fluid in the ear along with a sore throat and a persistent headache, I would add a broad spectrum antibiotic for a week due to a possible persisting bacterial infection on the basis of a culture/sensitivity report from your throat. Also you should go for regular two to three times of simple steam inhalations and continue taking allegra and some mild anti inflammatory drug for a short while.An addition of a proton pump inhibitor is essential considering the regular usage of pain killers/anti inflammatory in your case. This should relieve your problem. At the same time, I would also get your blood pressure checked up along with some investigations like a CBC, ESR, Blood Sugar, Kidney function tests, a lipid profile, and an ECG as a routine and treat any abnormal observation in any of these. In case your head ache is not relieved and persists or increases, I would advise you for a CT scan of head and neck to rule out any organic pathology like increased intra cranial pressure (less likely) or a cervical spondylitis considering your pain in the neck region which is not uncommon in this age group of patients. This will need some anti inflammatory along with regular physiotherapy for your cervical region. I would also advise you for some kind of regular aerobic exercises within your medical limits which can also help you out in controlling your pains. And avoid ingestion of any alcoholic beverages/smoking and much of chocolates if you do. You may continue taking your Vitamin D and the multi vitamin as per the advice of your treating doctor. I hope these information will help you in discussing with your family doctor about further management of your condition. Thanks for choosing healthcare magic for clearing your doubts on health matters. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Physiotherapy

doctor1 MD

what sould be done if the patient have disc annular buldge at l5-s1 with posterior central protrusion .i started with physiotherapy for the same one and got relief too but now have the pain inthe lateral side of the thigh at right side ...tell me what precautions i should take to get rid of this .

doctor1 MD

Hi.I am a 27 yr old, with no significant medical history. I suffered a fall around 5 years ago and meniscal +ACL injury was suspected on physical exam ,though no MRI was done.I was advised physiotherapy which I wasn t ver compliant with. Since then, I ve had pain on and off, and am unable to run,jump etc. But of late, I ve been having pain even at rest. Could it be that the ?tear is progressing ,..should I go in for a scan? Is surgery advisable? What are the indications for surgery?

doctor1 MD

Joint pains, spine and digestion problem, foot swelling, increasing weight. No improvement with Ayurveda, physiotherapy, accupuncture. What other forms should I try?

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my left upper arm. There is some pain in upper spine also. Seen doctors several times. They advised physiotherapy (Hot pack, IFT and exercise ) and muscle relaxant ointments and Etoshine MR tablets. Pain reduces a bit after physiotherapy for 3-4 weeks but again reappears. Need some advice.

doctor1 MD

I had a discectomy and I woke up in excruciating pain. A week later a laminectomy to stop the pain. Epidural injection,Morhine, Dilaudid , nothing helps. Something does not seem right. My Dr. has released me and says it will take a year to get...

doctor1 MD

My entire right arm keeps falling asleep whenever I sleep, regardless of my position. This has been happening for over a week. I have a history of both stroke and neuropathy. I am a 54 yr old woman.

doctor1 MD

Since yesterday, I have a sharp pain in my right leg at the knee, and above, and the right buttock. It s sharp, stabbing pain in the knee and buttock. Nothing seems to help it (e.g. Ibuprofen , changing position (standing, sitting, laying,...