Have constant blocked nose, sore throat, facial pain and ear infection. What's wrong?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi ive been having some problems for a while now. I'ma 20 year old female 5ft 6 115 pounds. for around 5 months i have had a constant blocked nose and post nasal drip. I wake up with sore throats and the most annoying problem is that i keep getting severe pain in the back of my head and neck. have also had some facial pain and a chronic ear infection for the duration of this time which medication isnt healing. i was diagnosed with chronic rhinitis and given some nasal spray but it didn't work so im currently on no medication. I really dont understand what this problem could be and doctors don't seem to be able to shed any light on whats wrong. the only medication I am on is citalopram.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute sinusitis and pharyngitis.

During nasal congestion, because of which there will be blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions in the sinus and increased viscosity. Stagnation of the secretions gives rise to headache and nasal infection. When the infected secretions trickle down into the throat it can cause irritation of the throat, followed by cough and difficulty in swallowing.

When the infection is acute there will be associated fever, headache, cough, throat pain, difficulty in breathing, etc.

Meanwhile you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. Try taking antibiotic such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime
3. Try taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
4. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this helps in removing the thick secretions from the sinuses and thus reduces the nasal block.
5. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover.
6. Request your doctor to get a CT scan of the paranasal sinuses done.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon