Have compound nevus mole. Planning for removal. Is this safe?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My daughter has a compound naevus mole - results just got back including non-malignant and considered rare in terms of becoming malignant. Suggested approach is to watch it and or think about removal. Im thinking removal?
and if removal is this a local anaesthetic ? meaning she stays awake
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Compound melanocytic nevi are completely benign in nature.
If you are contemplating getting it removed, do not worry as it is done as a single sitting day time procedure under local anaesthesia. Only the area having nevi will be numbed by local anaesthetic and mole can either be removed by radiofrequency cautery, electro cautery, Laser or punch excision. Post procedure, a local antibiotic needs to be applied at site of removal for proper healing.

While watching the lesions, one has to look for ABCD
A asymmetry, if two halves of the mole are asymmetrical
B border, ragged irregular border
C color variegate
D diameter more than 6 mm and
any change like tenderness, bleeding, scanning, itching in mole warrants for a proper examination of mole.

Hope that answers your query. Should therebe any further question, I would be happy to assist you.
Wishing your child good health. Take care.

P.S. if there are no more queries, we may close the discussion.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 minutes later
What do you think I should do?

thought if it was removed then never have to worry about checking it for change.

what would you suggest
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 7 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
As its a compound nevi which is benign in nature, I would suggest you can leave it as such. One should worry when the nevi are multiple, showing any change in appearance and there is a family history of melanoma in family.

However, if the mole is giving you any worry getting it removed would be more rational.

Hope that answers your query. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 minute later
multiple meaning more than one on the body? or more than one joined together?
Thanks for writing back,
Multiple means when somebody is having more than hundred mole over the body.
If you feel there is any risk factor for atypical change or if it is giving you incessant worry, get it removed.
However as a doctor, I would still suggest a simple compound nevi with no atypical change is completely benign and does not require removal.
Regards.