Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Have coloured teeth from childhood. Suggest home remedies or toothpastes to reduce the colour?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Dentist, Pedodontics
Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 24 Questions
I have colored teeth from childhood.Are there any home remedies or toothpastes that can reduce their color .And also i have heard that bleaching will make them back to white but enamel on the teeth will be affected.Kindly suggest.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 1 hour later
Thank you for the query. It is difficult to assess the right condition of your teeth by the word 'colored teeth'. There are many reasons by which teeth can can be discolored. It could be some congenital defect, could be effect of some medicine, could be due to excessive ingestion of fluoride and so on. As you have said that your problem is from your childhood so it can be said that the condition is not due to local effect of some food stain or stain due to bacterial reason. The condition can almost certainly be diagnosed by seeing the appearance or type or pattern of discoloration of your teeth. A good history of your previous illness, if any or familial tendency, if any can aid to the diagnosis. If you can send a good photograph, the condition of your teeth can be properly diagnosed and we can suggest a better treatment plan. Some home usable tooth whitening agents can correct mild stains of certain type. Not all stains are corrected by that. Bleaching is also indicated for certain kind of stains or discoloration of teeth. it is not the remedy for all tooth discolorations. Bleaching, if done properly does not cause a irreversible damage to the tooth enamel. The best way to combat heavy stain is to veneering the tooth surface with composite resin or porcelain. You should contact a local experienced dentist to properly diagnose your teeth stain condition and treat accordingly. I repeat, if you can send a good photograph of your teeth, i can suggest your treatment procedure more precisely. Hope I have explained your queries properly. You are most welcome to contact me if you have any further query. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor