Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Have cold, noticed white crusty lumps at the center of tongue. Any ideas?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
I have white crusty lumps at the center of my tongue? I have had a cold for 6-weeks. I have never had anything like this before. Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 5 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

From the photograph it seems like fungal infection (oral candidiasis).

Oral antifungal mouth paint prescribed by your doctor will help in treatment of this condition.

Cold greater than 6 weeks can indicate sinus infection. It can also occur in nasal allergies.

If there are recurrent attacks of cold then we consider allergic rhinitis and start on antihistaminics. To prevent further attacks of cold your doctor may prescribe steroid nasal spray.

If the physical examination confirms acute sinusitis you doctor may prescribe antihistaminics, antibiotics etc. Normal saline nasal drops are useful in clearing the nasal stuffiness and blockage.

Hope this helps.
Please feel free to ask further queries.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor