Have cold and red skin tag inside cheek. Taking finasteride for prostate. Safe remedy?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I have a red skin tag inside my cheek. It is white at the tip and gets bigger when I have a cold or am run down. When I am well, it decreases in size. It started four years ago, when I started taking finasteride for my prostate. I am 65
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX

From your description, I understand that you want to see if there is any relationship between the finasteride and the red skin tag? From manufacturer's manual, there are no side effects as such due to finasteride.

The lesion you describe (if single) may be an isolated petechia (hemorrhagic lesion beneath the skin due to blockage of blood capillary vessels supplying that area of the skin). If increasing in size as specific moments, is probably due to vasoconstriction at moments of cold.

That is nothing you should worry about as I do not thing they will cause any great damage to your system.

You can pay a visit to a dermatologist so he can take a closer look at the lesion and maybe run some lab test to find out if you have any underlying diseases other than BPH.

Hope this helps

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad