Have cold and fever with joint pain. Test showed high monocytes count. Symptoms of HIV?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Hello Doctor,
I have a cold and fever with joint pains so doctor has adviced me to take some tests and the results was normal expect the monocytes count, the monocytes count was high in value the normal range was 2 - 4 (Method SYSMEX KX - 21 Automated) and my count was 6.2 will there be any problem because of this? will this be symptoms of HIV? or any other serious health problems. I read in some articles in website they mentioned that it may be the symptoms of some serious infections? please clear my doubts.

thanks
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 39 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the count given by the machine are not always reliable. Because, they cannot differentiate sometimes between monocytes and other leucocytes. So, what you have to do is just go to a reference laboratory, tell them to take a direct peripheral blood film for total count and differential count.

Though todays machines are much efficient, but, till now, microscopical count is the final. So, recheck the count by the abovementioned method.

Secondly, yes, there are some infections, where monocytes are increased. But, in that case, you must have the symptoms of any infection. In my opinion, this level of monocyte does not indicate presence of those infections.

In this condition, what you have to do is to consult with your treating doctor for clinical correlation. Only that will clear whether there is any chance of infections or not.

For your information, increased monocyte is not a criteria for diagnosis of HIV infection. Elisa test is more reliable. If you have any doubt about HIV, you can do an Elisa test which will clear the situation to you.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 18 minutes later
Thanks doctor,

The test i have taken has the following values
Test Result Unit Reference Value
HB 16.6 gms% 13.5 - 17.0
Total WBC Count 8,700 Cells/Cumm 5000-0000

Differential Count

PoLYMORPHS 64.5 % 40-65(Method : SYSMEX KX - 21 Automated)

LYMPHOCYTES 27.3 % 30 - 50(Method : SYSMEX KX - 21 Automated)

EOSINOPHILS 1.5 % 2 - 8 (Method : SYSMEX KX - 21 Automated)

MONOCYTES 6.2 % 2 - 4 (Method : SYSMEX KX - 21 Automated)

BASOPHILS 0.5 % Upto 1

ESR

1 / 2 2 mm
1 Hour 5 mm 5 - 20

Do I need to take any other test? Please advice me sir. So I do not need to worry about HIV because of the increase of Monocytes? I have already taken HIV test before blood donation and it was negative and non reactive? do I need to take the test in ELISA method again?

Please list me the test i have to take in ELISA method.

Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 49 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Your blood test is quite satisfactory. I do not think there is any problem. But still, you should confirm it by the test i have previously mentioned. One more thing is that the report does not indicate any chance of HIV infection.

Now, regarding HIV, if there is any chance of HIV infection after the previous test, you should do HIV1 & 2 Elisa test for this time. Otherwise, you do not need this.

Hope, you have your answers.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 2 days later
Hello doctor,

I have taken the test again for HIVE and the result is as follows

Test Name      Method          Value          Units
HIVE            E.L.I.S.A      0.03           OD Ratio

Negative : < = 0.90 Equivocal : 0.91 - 1.10 Positive : > = 1.11

as u said there is no was for infecting for the recent days i have taken test for three times

Please advice.

thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 38 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

As you have told there was no chance of infection in recent days,and you have done the test three times, and all the reports are negative, including this one. this all indicates negativity of HIV infection.

So, you have no need to worry right now.

Regards.