Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Have coarse hair on chin. Scar after waxing and plucking. Why is this happening?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
I have coarse hair that grow on my chin, I am a female so I pluck it and wax it. The waxing and plucking is leaving a pimple like scar. It is happening at the corner of my chin on both corner. Why is this happening and what can I take holistically or scientifically to stop this. I am eating relaly healthy and cannot lose weight, could both be related?
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

You are suffering from Hirsutism.
Hirsutism is the excessive hair on women in those parts of the body where terminal hair does not normally occur or is minimal - for example, a beard or chest hair.

It refers to a male pattern of body hair ( androgenic hair ) and it is therefore primarily of cosmetic concern.

Hirsutism is a symptom rather than a disease and may be a sign of a medical condition, especially if it develops well after puberty .

Also I would like to know-

Do you have menstrual abnormalities or irregularity?

What is your body mass index ?Are you overweight ?

Do you have any other health issue?

Most probable explanation for your condition is PCOS or PCOD.

Polycystic ovarian disease causes hair growth.
It is caused due to harmonal imbalance .

But good thing is that it is treatable.

Excess hair growth can also be treated by topical / oral medication and also laser therapy .

Hope this helps.

If you need any further clarification do let me know.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have coarse hair on chin. Scar after waxing and plucking. Why is this happening? 44 minutes later
My BMI 35.7
Yes I am overweight. I went to a nutritionist and I am eating healthy now.
I lost 5 pounds and I cannot seem to lose any more.
My periods are regular but two weeks before periods I see minute drops of blood. I thought maybe I am low in Vitamin K.
As a young girl I missed periods a lot I would see my periods every 3 months and the doctors told me not to worry its normal for some people.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 9 hours later
Hi Again,

My advise to you would be to get few investigations done like harmonal panel including
LH &FSH. Also an ultrasonography of abdomen and pelvis is a must.

These investigation will help in diagnosis of PCOS. Once the diagnosis is established you can be treated with harmonal therapy and you would be fine.

A visit to your physician or gyanecologist would be helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor