Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Have cluster of bumps on buttocks. Diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. Are both related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
I have a cluster of bumps on my buttocks. they have been there for about a month and they were never itchy until today & they are only slightly itchy. they do not hurt & aren't irritating. I was just tested for stds during my annual w/m my gyno & tested neg for everything including herpes. I'm currently on the 3rd day of my menstrual cycle. I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis right before my cycle. I have not taken the antibiotic yet because I was told my cycle could make it occur again so I'm waiting until my last day of cycle to take it. could having bv be related to these bumps? I do sweat a lot in this area and my vaginal area. not where the folds are but the area right above it (sorry I don't know the medical term for that area). I hope all of these details help. thanks!
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

I have gone through your pictures and it is quite clear that you are having lesions of molluscum contagiosum.
Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection of the skin and lesions around genitalia are usually indicative of a sexually transmitted disease.
Firstly, it is good that you have got yourself tested for all the std's and the results are all fine. Since you have these lesions since a month now, i would recommend that you can get yourself re-evaluated for various std's including hiv after two months again.Though there is no such relation between Hiv and molluscum , still it is always better to be on the safe side.
Now as far as these lesions are concerned, there are various methods available to get rid of these .These lesions are very contagious ,so early and proper treatment is very essential
Treatment options include application of agents like retinoic acid, chemical cautery, electric cautery or mechanical curettage.. Now all these procedures are done by a dermatologist or a Std specialist and cannot be done at home.
So i would advise you to visit a specialist soon for proper treatment .

Now as far as bacterial vaginosis is concerned, both of these are independent diseases, there is no relation between both of them . You can take the prescribes medicines for bacterial vaginosis and then consult a specialist for removel of molluscum lesions

Hope it helps
If you have any other query, please let me know

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have cluster of bumps on buttocks. Diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. Are both related? 27 hours later
Is MolluscumRx a valid form of treatment? I'm confused a bit. it's an std but could occur with children? I am really struggling with this answer because i have no money to see my Dr. until Friday & I'm afraid for it to spread even though it hasn't happened thus far. Is this something you can get even if your mate does not have bumps on their genitals? because my boyfriend has no sign of this and he is the only person I've had sex with in 4 years. I need to be retested for std's because this does not occur in healthy adults correct? I get tested every year so I'm very shocked & nervous now, forgive me.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later

Firstly, don’t be nervous. Relax down. I understand your concern regarding the same.
Now Molluscum contagiosum, when seen in adults especially around the genitalia is a sign of sexually transmitted disease. You are right that similar infection can also occur in children but in children, it is usually seen on the exposed sites like the face, hands, arms or legs. This is so because it is a highly contagious condition and it spreads by touch from on child to other.
It is quite a common infection in children as they have a very thin skin and it is easily transmitted by touch. However, this infection is an alarming sign when seen in adults especially in non exposed sites.
Molluscum contagiosum has a variable incubation period ranging from two weeks to six months. Now going by your history, there is a possibility that you friend has molluscum on some site not easily visible or the second possibility is that you might be having a single or a few lesions earlier too which slowly increased to many as this disease spreads very slowly due to its long incubation period.
Now as far as the treatment options are available, destruction or removal of the lesion is the most valid from of treatment. Topical application of retinoic acid or tretinoin .025% cream on a daily basis is done is some cases but this has to be continued for weeks together. So the preferred treatment is to cauterize the lesion by any of the means.
As far as testing for STD's is concerned, you have done that in past too, and it would be good to be re-evaluated after few months again.
Extra genital lesions in adults are an alarming sign and tell us that the person needs to be evaluated for other diseases although genital lesions don’t really point in similar direction.

Hope it helps.
Any other query please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have cluster of bumps on buttocks. Diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. Are both related? 1 hour later
Thanks. Is this something he can be tested for? what diseases could this be a sign of besides hiv? I dont have anal sex and there are no bumps on my vagina, is that normal? Should I contact my primary Dr or my Gynecologist? I think those are all my questions. Sorry for asking so many. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 11 minutes later

I think if there are no evident lesions in your partner, then there might not be a need to test him.
Molluscum , as I told , if extra genital in adults, is an alarming sign and needs evaluation for HIV but that is not the case with you.
However, it is always good to be on the safe side and get oneself evaluated for all other STD's.
In addition, as far as the site of infection is concerned, it depends upon the site where the infection was first lodged. Only single inoculation of the organism at any site can lead to the primary lesion, which can further lead to more lesions due to self-infection.
You might need to consult a dermatologist for proper treatment of the skin condition.

Hope it helps

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor