Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

126 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have circular spots on foots. Took antibiotic. What is the cause and cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
I have had a spot on the top of my right foot for approximately 2 years. It has maintained a circular, non-raised shape, free of itching, burning or pain. It is a XXXXXXX purple color. Originally I believed it to be from a pair of cheap shoes I had purchased, but stopped wearing them immediately upon discovery. The spot was approximately 1 inch in diameter but has recently started to spread out to nearly 2 inches in diameter. I have no known health problems, though I gave birth via emergency cesarean 5 months ago. I received antibiotics at that time as a preventative. Again, there is no itching, burning or pain associated with the discoloration.
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

Ive gone through your history and photo.
The photo is not very clear a better and more close up photo would be helpful.

It can be post inflammatory hyperpigmentation or macular amyloidosis.
As the pigmentation is growing in size the possibility of macular amyloidosis is more likely.

It occurs due to friction and can slowly increase in size due to repeated trauma or friction at the site.
My advise to you would be -
Avoid friction at the site.
Avoid tight fitting shoes.
Apply a good quality moisturizer with XXXXXXX butter over the area.
A medium potency topical corticosteroid cream like betamethasone once a day application would be helpful.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for any further clarification.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist