Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

174 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have circular bruise on top of foot. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I have a large circular bruise on the top of my foot that hurts when I press it. It's been hurting for quite some time now, but I noticed the actual bruise a couple of days ago. I may have hit myself some time ago or maybe someone stepped on me. Not really sure. Any way to treat it or anything I should be concerned with?
Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 32 minutes later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query.
Yes you might have suffered a minor injury causing bleeding and therefore bruising of your foot. If there are no other bruises anywhere else in the body, no pain on walking or movement of foot and no past history of any medical disorders or long term medications then you neednot worry.
In most cases, a foot bruise will not need much special care or attention. If there is swelling accompanying the bruise, keep your foot elevated and pack it with ice to bring down the puffiness. You can also take acetaminophen or ibuprofen to reduce any pain you may be experiencing. If there is no swelling and pain only tenderness on pressing then it's likely to be healing.
A bruise is likely to heal completely on its own in 2 weeks or so . If the bruise seems to stay the same, meaning it does not fade in color, or grows larger, you should see a doctor. A doctor should also be notified if you begin seeing additional bruises in the same or other areas, especially if you seem to be bruising more easily than normal.
So please do not worry & wish you a speedy recovery.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist