Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Have chronic shortness of breath. Have POTS syndrome. On Lopressor and Plaquenil. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2563 Questions
Past 3 weeks I have chronic shortness of breath when I walk. I am 27 years old healthy other than having POTS syndrome and possible autoimmune im on Lopressor and Plaquenil for those
this whole month of been extremely stressed crying every day always anxious - I am very in tune with my breathing and feel like im short of breath all the time when im walking!!! its sooooo scary!

I have had now 2 chest xrays (keep going to the ER)
I have doctors tell me my lungs sound clear
pulse ox is 100% on Room air.
blood pressure and pulse is just fine
I had a normal ECHO 3 months ago
CT of my chest 7 months ago and normal.
I am so STRESSSED I have given myself acid reflex from the anxiety and feel short of breath I cry every night and wake up anxious every day

can I assume that its not my lungs and my heart? what can I DO>!>!
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 days later

I see that the breathlessness on exertion (walking) is a fairly recent one. Chronic lung pathologies secondary to autoimmune diseases usually have an insidious progress. Besides that, lung inflammation secondary to autoimmune condition has fairly constant symptoms unrelated to exertion.

Based on these facts and the fact that recent chest X-ray and CT chest scans are normal, I would exclude lung problems.

Therefore I shall assume this may be related to:
1. Stress and anxiety.
2. Volume over load conditions such as anemia / hyperthyroidism.
3. Less likely a heart problem.

We could test your blood - hemogram and thyroid profile to see for alarming signs. If symptoms are very troubling, perhaps repeat Echocardiogram may be considered to exclude heart ailment. Your primary care provider will know about these tests.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor