Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Have chronic sciatica. Temporary relief from paracetamol and glucosamine. Right medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I have chronic sciatica ....18 months ago felt sharp pain in right back as digging, very sharp! .....had pain aching etc ever since like tooth ache goes all the way down to foot sometimes I can't move I'm locked, have ended up in causality one time. All G P does is suggest paracetamol and try glucosamine which I am doing with limited effect. As a result my mobility is limited (I used to swim 3x4 times a week) and my weight is creeping up. Feeling pretty fed up as I have always been very active and was in good shape for a 68 year old what else can I do? XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
You seem to be having some neurological problem as a cause for your symptoms unless proven otherwise.
The backache radiating to buttocks and legs along with the numbness indicates a serious local cause affecting the spine.
It can be a sciatica or disc prolapse related issue.
You should get a thorough physical and neurological examination by a neurologist and get investigated to point out the exact diagnosis.
You would need CT/MRI spine as suggested after the examination and follow the advise accordingly.
Meanwhile you should avoid awkward postures, should use a hard bed for lying down, use local pain killer spray like one containing diclofenac gel.Paracetamol and tramadol combinations are good for controlling pain and are safe to use, please get them prescribed.
You should take high protein diet and cut down fat and fast foods to compensate for decreased mobility to control body weight.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have chronic sciatica. Temporary relief from paracetamol and glucosamine. Right medication? 2 hours later
Can this referral be done privately as GP seems to think it will go away in a few months! Have tried amytriptyline but it made me dopey,
I had scans which showed ovarian cysts now the focus. Could these be the cause I am told they are the size of golf balls.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 17 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
I think you should get evaluated by a local orthopedician by whatever feasible method and follow the course of action.
Ovarian cyst is not a cause for such a problem, it can be said only an incidentaloma.
I think it would help you in decision making.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor