Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Have chronic pain between hip and ribs. Have had gall bladder removed, arthritis in knees. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 362 Questions
I have chronic pain in my right side between my hip and ribs. I have had my gall bladder removed, i have had scans and exrzy and all come back negative. I do have a kidney stone situated in the middle of my right kidney. the Dr said it shouldnt be the cause of the pain . It eases a bit when i lie flat, increase in pain whne i stand too long or bend down. I have had this going on for 3 years now. Please help i am getting desperate. Pain meds dont help. I also have arthritis in my knees.

my email address is wwwwww@wwwwww
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

Thsnka for writing in.

Based on your description, ther are three possibiltities for your pains.
1. Kideny Stone. Althoug, your doctor has said it is not, it can be the cause of the pain. Whee exactly is your pain..?? Between hip and ribs, i understand. But is it in the front, or in the flanks or back or all over.??
Kidney stones can causes back and flank pains.

2. Spine related cause. Although spine related pain if involving the upper lumbar region can cause painsin theregion you have mentioned. It is advisable to get an MRI scan to ascertain this possibility.

3. Muscular. Muscular pain can also be chronic and usually occur due to repetitive strain. They also increase on moving about and bending..

Since pain medicines are not helping you, you must get an MRI of the spine to rule out a spinal cause. If thats normal, go for Lithotripsy treatment for the renal stone to eradicate it. I wish and hope you recover fast.

Do get back if you need any further information.


Dr Kiran
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor