Have chronic infection. USG showed enlarged heterogeneous epididymis. Any permanent cure?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Men's Health
Question: hello sir
I have a lump on my left epidiymis of left testicle and i consulted doctor and he has told me that it is chronic infection and advised for USG and blood test . My blood test report came normal and in USG i found that i have enlarged heterogeneous left epididymis with little swollen and right epidymis cyst and both testicle are normal in size ,shape,outline and position with homogeneous parenchyma and no focal lesion is seen and small fluid is seen in both sacs.

Doctor has prescribed me Roxid 150 mg for 5 days. antibiotic medicine.

I am very worried for my problem.please advice me that which medicines i can take for permanent cure?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Epididymitis is inflammation of the epididymis.It can be classified as acute (if the symptoms such as pain and swelling occur over a period of days) or chronic (pain and inflammation last more than 6 weeks)

When this is suspected, the investigations include the tests mentioned as well as urinalysis and testing of any discharge that may be present.

In chronic infection a long course of antibiotics (for 4 to 6 weeks) may be prescribed .
There are different antibiotics that may be used depending on the presentation and the lab results
In addition to the use of antibiotics, it is also recommended that you (1) reduce physical activity (2)use anti-inflammatory agents such as cataflam or ibuprofen (3) ice packs if necessary (4) elevation and support of the scrotum

You should continue the antibiotic given by your doctor, use an anti- inflammatory to aid it.Your doctor may consider extending the antibiotics if the infection does not resolve.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions