Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

Have chronic bronchitis. Startes vomiting and bruise on ribs. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2610 Questions
I have chronic bronchitis to the point where I vomit and bruise my ribs. I need a presription for Hydromet. I have been to an ENT, Pulmanologist, Allergist and of course my family physician of which due to insurance costs, I cannot afford.
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 7 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Hydromet Syrup is used for: Temporary relief of cough. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Hydromet Syrup is an anticholinergic and narcotic cough suppressant combination. The anticholinergic works by drying up secretions and the narcotic depresses the cough reflex in the brain.
It is prescription based medication and not as over the counter medication.
I can not prescribe you the medication without examining you and it is not ethical also. I advice you to see GP and on examination if he thinks that the medication need to be prescribed he will do that.
Meanwhile if you want relief from the cough you can go and get any over the counter cough suppressant and will reduce your symptom. I sincerely hope that helps.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have chronic bronchitis. Startes vomiting and bruise on ribs. What treatment should be done? 14 hours later
Dr. Naik,

As of April I could no longer afford health care hence, my using your service. I am in need of Hydromet cough syrup to controll my chronic bronchitis. I was told by one of the customer service representatives that you could get me a prescription by clicking on the follow up button of which I have. I have used this medication in the past with much success. When I had insurance, My GP sent me to an ENT who intern sent me to a Pulmanologist who intern sent me to an Allergist who intern sent me back to my GP at the time. A medical paradox if you will. Until such time as I can afford insurance I am currently at your mercy.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 36 minutes later
Good to hear from you.
It may be habit forming. Hydrocodone can produce drug dependence of the morphine type and, therefore, has the potential for being abused. Psychic dependence, physical dependence and tolerance may develop upon repeated administration of hydrocodone bitartrate and homatropine methylbromide, and it should be prescribed and administered with the same degree of caution appropriate to the use of other narcotic drugs. So it is not possible for me to prescribe you this drug. However I think your pharmacist can help you with this. You can reach Walgreens / CVS and request your pharmacist if a generic Hydrocodone is available for you without prescription from GP. Sometimes they allow.
If not I advice either you take the over the counter cough suppressants like Robutussin or you should XXXXXXX the GP and get prescription for this medication. I notice there is a minute clinic in CVS pharmacy in your area for simple prescriptions.
The next alternative is the clinic for the Uninsured, located at 143 Church Street in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania. Their phone number is 610-935-1134
Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor