Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Have childhood ankle injury and got sprain. Have swelling when doing exercise and using stair case. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 189 Questions
I have childhood ankle injury in my right leg. I got hurt when I was 9 years old. Again I got sprain 2 years back when I slipped from the stair case. Fortunately I did not get any facture and within a month the pain reduced. However, after that I am felling XXXXXXX swelling whenever I am doing some kind of heavy exercise like running and climbing the stair case (6+ stores building). I am feeling uncomfortable in my right leg ankle till next couple of days.
Kindly advice, do I need to consult any neurosurgeon or any physiotherapist. Please give me a reference in Hyderabad.
Age: 31
Weight: 80
Height: 165
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Osteochondritis dissecans - Orthopaedician

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in,

It seems you might be suffering from osteochondritis dissecans. It usually happens after repeated injury to ankle. You actually need an orthopaedic consultation.

I can see that your BMI is 29.5, which means you are overweight for your height. If you are not muscular then you should consider losing weight. Losing weight itself will decrease the stress over your ankle and relieve your pain.

Till the time you consult your orthopaedic doctor, don't run or jog, avoid using stairs. Always walk on flat surface. Pain killers on & off will help you decrease pain.

Since i am based in chennai, i don't have any idea about orthopaedicians in hyderbad.

Get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have childhood ankle injury and got sprain. Have swelling when doing exercise and using stair case. Suggest? 15 hours later
Thanks a lot Sathyadharan Ji.

I am trying to putdown my weight. However, without jugging and exercise , how I will putdown weight. I have started following balanced diet. I don't boose and now I am having moderate non veg food and less junk food also. However, without exercise it will not help me to reduce the weight. Do I need to approach any correction clinic.

I never had pen killers for my ankle pain as it's bearable.

Anyway, I will approach a Orthopedic Surgeon @Hyderabad Apollo Hospital.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diet & Swimming

Detailed Answer:
Swimming is the best exercise. It wont hurt your ankle also. Any exercises which doesn't stresses your ankle can be done. Have lot of fluids and juices rather than solid foods. consult a dietician too.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor