Have chest pain, back pain with numbness in hand. Sign of right bundle branch block?

Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My Brother In Law had chest pain few days back and he had lower left backpain since a while now he recently had numbness in his left hand and on consultation with a doctor, he was told that he has a Right bundle branch block. His blood sugar is normal but ECG was not quite normal, although i am not aware of the details of it.
The term/disease is new to us and we are stuck with many questions here,
How does this occur? How can this be treated? Should he follow and food habits? How severe is this?
My brother-in-law is 36 yrs old and he smokes upto 8 cigarets/per.

Please explain.
Thanks in Advance.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 31 minutes later

First of all, I did grasp the history and reports but however there doesn't seem to be the diagnosis arrived at or you have forgotten to mention.

Right bundle branch is ECG finding and it by itself does not mean anything. It can be present in normal persons and as well represent underlaying heart ailments such as hole in the heart (Atrial Septal defect). This needs to be clarified by echocardiogram.

By and large, if clinical examination by a physician is normal its unusual for it to be associated with serious health problems. It occurs due to degeneration with age, sometime without any explanation.
But being near forty age and chronic smoker for his symptoms he needs to have evaluation by doing a TMT (treadmill Test).

Unless there is disease, RBBB (Right Bundle Branch Block) need not be treated.
If associated with disease, then treatment will guided by disease rather than ECG finding.
Lifestyle changes: Quit smoking and cut on fats.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E