Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have chest pain and in rib cage. Twisted knee and have pain. Noticed swelling. Should I see a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
I was thrown from my a week ago and still have continuing pain in my left chest around
The front upper anterior area and lower side bottom of my rib cage. I also twisted my knee and still have pain and limited mobility with some swelling esp. around the rt side of my knee cap. I have a rod in my tibia from a skiing accident 5 years ago and still have some problems around the insertion area in my knee. I haven't seen a physical as my insurance doesn't cover much and a huge deductible. Should I see a physician anyway and I know X-rays, ct scans and more tests would be ordered or is it safe to what a while longer to see if this is just a sprain and bruised injuries......

Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Safe to wait and see.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Your description is slightly incomplete but perhaps you meant you were thrown from your horse. Your injuries do sound painful but they are very likely to settle down. However, this may take a few more weeks.
The concern is that you may have fractured one of more ribs and sustained ligament damage to your knee.
Even if you have sustained these injuries, the treatment in the first instance would be pain-killers and rest. Therefore, I would suggest paracetamol and codeine or tramadol for pain. I note your gastritis so assume you avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. Avoid excessive exercise but you can weight bear on your knee. Elevate your leg when resting.
If your problems do not improve over the next 2 weeks, I would advise seeing and orthopedic specialist regarding your knee.
I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor