Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

129 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have chest infection and sinusitis. Noticed hard lump on roof of mouth. Should I consult ENT doctor?

Answered by
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 7300 Questions

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Starting this morning I noticed a hard lump in the roof of my mouth. I've been having chest infections/sinusitis chronically for several months due to autoimmune disorders that I have. I have been having ear pain and an irritated throat, but when I went to the ENT a couple of weeks ago, he said all was clear. He even did a scope down the nostrils. This lump in my mouth, and as the day has progressed, it's becoming increasingly harder to swallow and talk. The left side of my face, tongue and mouth feel swollen. The lump is extremely painful, and I've poked it a couple of times thinking it was a blood blister that I could pop and relieve the pain. While the pain is not new, the lump showed up all of a sudden this morning. Should I get to an ENT doctor? What do you think is the problem?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 11 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Health Care Magic

Hard lump of the roof of the mouth causing symptoms of swelling in the surrounding areas and pain definitely needs further investigation.
Consult your doctor (can be an ENT doctor). A CT scan needs to be done to know whether the swelling is arising from any underlying structure.
A fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) of the lesion is also needed.
FNAC is a office procedure in which the cells from the swelling are sampled.
These cells are examined under the microscope to know the character of the cells.
This investigation will aid in knowing the type of lesion and planning further management.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 14 minutes later
Is it an emergency or can it wait until normal business hours? Any idea what it is? I'm living in Oman, and I will need specifics to tell the doctors if there is some lab test (other than FNAC) that is required. A CT scan takes months to schedule and obtain here. Also, when I raise my tongue, it protrudes farther (gets bigger). It's slight moveable, but hard and painful.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 39 minutes later
Hello and welcome back

Yes you can wait for normal business hours.
The examining doctor will decide the required investigations.
CT scan will be required. You will need to discuss it with your doctor.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Biopsy

doctor1 MD

My brother is diagnosed with ring enhansing laisons in brain & he is on ATT from last 10 months. But from tomorrow dr has changed his treatment to 2nd line drugs & advised to do brain biopsy.plz suggest me the economical and best institute for brain biopsy...n also tell me the estimated cost of brain biopsy ....I m from Punjab

doctor1 MD

Hello,my name is Susie. My gyno found a lump in my right breast. She sent me for a mammo,which they sent me a letter stating that there was a finding,and that I needed to return for a diagnostic mammo and an ultrasound,which I did. The day of my testing the technician asked me if I wanted to see the area of concern,I of course said yes. It was a super white small weird shape almost like a shape of a state. So she said that after the diagnostic mammo she would show it to the doctor,and if he felt Ineeded us she would send me up for one. So she came back & said I wad going up for us. First let me say that the grape sized weird feeling lump my gyno found didnt come out in my initial mammo. So when I went to my gyno for results of my last two test,she walked in with a post it note pad & pen,no results no report and no films. She said it looked like a cyst but the ultrasound technician didnt even examin the area where the lump was first found. Why didnt that lump come out? And I know what a cyst looks like on film,its round or egg shaped and clear. The white weird shape the tech showed me was clearly not a cyst. Should I ask for a biopsy,what should I do? Sincerely Susie

doctor1 MD

have blood and mucus from rectum along with intermittent diarhea or lose stools. Cramping goes along with it. I have had an upper and lower endoscopy with a Celiac disease biopsy. Everything was clear and my colon was not inflamed. The GI dr. said it was a bowel functioning disorder. Is that what IBS is? What do you think? I know I have hemorroids at times as well.

doctor1 MD

My father, who is 79 yrs old and has a quite healthy life, has recently developed some difficulties in swallowing food for around 5-6 months. We had consulted Doctor in a well known Hospital in Delhi and we got endoscopy done which showed a thickening of esophagus wall and the Doctor advised endoscopic biopsy under anesthesia, which could not be completed by the concerned department as the biopsy was not possible from that angle. Now the Doctor had given an option of PET scanning or DL endoscopy and BPOPSY(GA). Meanwhile he prescribed Romilast, which did helped my father while eating food. However, we are not longer sure whether we should go ahead with it, as so far it has been an expensive wild goose chase without any conclusive outcome. We took a second opinion from Lok Nayak Hospital, where a Barium swallow test was done and the report says (R) pyriform sinus(l) lat. aspect of esophagus likely due to damage The Doctor advised that there is nothing to be worried about and it was an age related problem where the esophagus loses its flexibility and becomes stiff and we can continue with the Romilast tabs. I am confused as to what is to be done and Dad is also worried with anxiety as we recently lost my mother with nasopharyingeal carcinoma after a seven year battle with the disease and the sufferings of my mom is still quite fresh in our minds. However, he does not want any treatment, if it turns out to be cancer. Please advise as to which course of action will be better

doctor1 MD

Hi there I’m a 42 yo healthy male with mild psoriasis and psuedogout. Recent routine blood tests were normal. Three weeks ago whilst I had a mild sore throat and cold, I discovered a raised lymph node on my right side of neck 2 inches down from...

doctor1 MD

Hi I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer from a biopsy . They think it is confined to prostate. GS 3+4. 19/12 probes positive. 15% of tissue cancerous. 1) do you recommend radiation or surgery 2) for surgery do you recommend open, laproscopic...

doctor1 MD

My father is 70 years old and has been detected with out of bound reports for some of the Tests related to Kidney . Attached are prescriptions and reports. I need your guidance on how to proceed further. Here are some artifacts: 1. He underwent...