Have chest heaviness. Blood test, X-ray and ECHO normal. Have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. What should I do?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, I have chest heaviness from last 2 months on walking and physical activity. Had blood tests, Stress Echo, Chest Xray- they came negative but heaviness still there. Have Obstructive Sleep Apnea!! Not sure whether I should go for CT Scan?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
First,treat obst.sleep.apnea,then,to think ct-scan

Detailed Answer:

I have read your concerns and am sorry for the situation you are in. At the same time, I am happy to hear that you do not have any serious problem with your heart, lungs and blood disorders.

The chest heaviness you are having might be related to obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) for which you should follow the advice given by your doctor regarding your lifestyle and diet regimen.

If I were your caring doctor, would suggest to take proper measurement regarding the OSA, and then, later on to think over ct-Scan as for the moment being, I do not see any indicative sign to run such test.

Hope it answered to your inquiry!

Dr.Benard

p.s. if you have other concern, please write back to me!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 5 hours later
also in terms of other misc details - I am 165 lbs/5 ft 11 inch tall. Not obese, no history of alcohol/ smoking. Sometimes i get heaviness on running even 0.25 miles on treadmill and after rest on restarting I don't feel it for 1.25 miles... It's strange and I am worried a lot!!
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the following suggestions...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome again,

First of all, do not worry too much. You can consult a pneumologist, do the respiratory testing and if the pneumologist is ok to run ct-scan.

I'd suggest to consult a neurologist also to exclude local neurological problems and to run neurological tests.

If everything ok, can go for psychological consultation.

Wish everything will be resolved!

Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj