Have chest contusions. Feeling uncomfortable with breathing difficulty. Worried for spleen damage?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Ten days ago I fell and smacked my chest on protuding roots. Ambulance to hospital, diaganosis chest contusions.
Five days later went to hospital in major pain, x XXXXXXX chest contusion. Five days later doctor sent me to hospital for cat scan, better check,alson worried about spleen damage.okay but a lot of pain.five days later feeling very bloated chest wall on right side cracks and snaps as breathe can feel it when hand is on chest

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such cracks and snaps are most probably caused by the air which has accumulated under the skin. If the air is under the skin, there is a huge possibility that there is some microscopic hole in the chest wall and the air is inside the chest as well. This is called pneumothorax. The air in the chest is urgent condition as it can compress the lung and result with shortness of breath. You should go to ER and have it verified with the chest X-ray.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.