Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Have chafing on penis, painful and ooze yellow non smelling liquid. Using poly sporin anitibotic cream. Advise?

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
i have chafing on penis they look like splits lenght wise on shaft they are painful and ooze a little yellow non smelling liquid i been using poly sporin triple anitibotic cream its slowly getting better is there anything else that will speed up healing ?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare Magic.

I can understand your concern for the problem on penis.

By the short history provided by you the closest possibility appears to be of "Balanoposthitis" of fungal origin. This infection of the glans area is medically known as "Candidal Balanoposthitis".

Clinically there is mild to moderated redness over the glans and prepuce (skin covering over glans) area very initially. It is then followed by discharge of cream color or slightly whitish yellow discharge from the area. When it continues for few days then there are linear superficial cuts appears on the shaft and inner side of prepuce.

This condition is common in uncircumcised males and also middle aged men where the hygiene is not proper. Otherwise also it can be a sign of raised blood sugar. Sugar being a good medium for growth of fungus so leads do easy infection of the area.

As per your status you applied "triple antibiotic cream" which actually contains steroid, antibiotic and most importantly anti-fungal on it. Therefore it responds well to anti-fungal creams or mixed creams.

I would like to provide you certain suggestions which would be very helpful in reducing the present symptoms and in future also:

1. If you are uncircumcised male then clean the genital area two times thoroughly and gently by retracting your prepuce completely backwards.

2.At this time you do saline water compression meaning 1 glass of water with pinch of salt in it and then cotton soaked in the water and compressing for 5 minutes.

3. You can apply plane anti-fungal without steroids in it in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible.

4. Do not use any kind of medication without the advice of the doctor.

5. Go for your blood sugar checkup. If it is raised then it should be managed properly.

6. Kindly ask your partner also if she has some problem of white discharge. This is actually the main source mainly in sexually active males. Therefore your partner also needs to be treated so that there should not be any recurrence.

Despite doing above measures if the things are not getting better then you may need oral anti-fungal tablet by mouth for which you can XXXXXXX a dermatologist near your area. He will guide you for the best of oral and topical treatment as well as other of possible causes leading to same.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"


Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
(MD- Dermatology & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor