Have celiac disease, ulcer colitis and low thyroid. EGD normal. Why am I facing difficulty in swallowing?

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Ok i have a problem i havent been to a doctor about but is getting worse and i would just like an opinion as to what to so or what you think this might be.. 5 years ago i was diagnosed with celiac disease , ulcer colitis and low thyroid. The past yr and half I had a huge problem , when i swallow my food it wont go all the way in my stomach ? not sure why , sticky stuff is the worst. so i have a particular maneuver that I do when something gets stuck (including liquids now ) if i lean to my left side it goes right on down like it should. sometimes when i start to eat a little i have to lift up and lean to the left and boom goes on down it just gets aggervating and annoying as i learned to cope with it but before i learned these techniques i would regurgitate (not vomit) a lot of food after i ate. I know only eat soft mushy stuff like ice cream and bread in milk whatever it takes to get calories down. I thought it was achalsia because a family member of mine has it but i got a egd and no achlasia he said and no hernias he also said . He wanted to do more test but I have not been back due to my busy schedule and issues with my health insurance . I also have extreme pain on my left side directly Up under my left rib all the time and hurts to touch sometimes it feels like theres a hole there or something. also have my gallbladder removed and a recent pregnancy gave birth 7 months ago problem never differerd . thnks
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later
You have a peculiar problem.

You said you have coeliac disease and ulcerative colitis.

Your history does not fit into a particular problem.

If your EGD is normal, then unlikely you have any obstructive cause for your difficulty in swallowing.
I think the best investigation you should undergo is a barium swallow test where in you get to know the function of swallowing, abnormality and can study your posture related improvement in the study. It is a simple non invasive test. It will also rule out achalasia sine you have a family history.

In addition, it is important to see if you have spondylosis involving your cervical spine, which can accompany ulcerative colitis (unlikely).

In addition, if you are on steroids for ulcerative colitis, it is worthwhile taking a course of antifungal for 7 days to rule out esophageal candidiasis.

However, all this except spine involvement in ulcerative colitis, does not explain the pain you have. Sometime a neurological problem like cerebrovascular accident involving brain stem or systemic sclerosis can present with swallowing problems changing with posture. An MRI of spine will rule out spinal bony and cord problems.

Hope this answers your query.
Please do reply in case of any further questions.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 34 minutes later
well i had a er visit about 4 months ago all they saw was a very enlarged spleen and told me to follow up but like i said i have not yet.. could this have anything to do with it?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 6 hours later

Well enlarged spleen is very unusual in coeliac or ulcerative colitis or even in symptoms you have. Neither enlarged spleen can cause difficulty in swallowing nor explains the type of pain you have.
I think you should visit a doctor, get a barium swallow and a MRI spine done if possible.

Wish you a speedy recovery...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 5 hours later
ok will do .. thanks for your reply i do have back pains i have had four pregnancys
well i finay went to the er today they said i have inflammation and fluid bulid up in the same region of my stomach that i have pain i am supposed to have a mri wends morning
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 8 hours later

That will clarify the problem. If possible get a barium swallow also done after the MRI to understand your swallowing problem.

Wish you a pink life ahead... I will be available for further discussion if you have any doubts.

Best Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad